Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2014

I'm just one person, like everyone else

I really enjoy reading articles about the little things that make up nature. Sometimes I think we forget how incredibly complex the world is around us, until we can read paragraphs about the soil of a specific landscape. The world is, and the Adirondacks in particular, is a big place filled with little pieces that all create the environment we live in today. While the science of these interactions, be it photosynthesis in the forest canopy, may not be particularly interesting to everyone, the intricacy of these interactions makes you realize just how delicate these places are. Everywhere you touch you leave your own footprint and a butterfly effect coursing through it. Sometimes we think that the world is too big for one person to make such a difference but we could say the same about the particles of dirt or the leaves on the trees. We are all part of a complex ecosystem that we have inserted ourselves into in many cases and we must sometimes remind ourselves of how big a role the little things, such as ourselves, play in the grand scheme of these ecosystems and the world around us.

1 comment:

  1. The notion that little things make big differences make it that much more scary to think about how big changes can affect the Park. For example, the new Resort in the Tupper Lake could have quite a large impact on its surrounding areas as well as overall traffic through the Park. This is a decision made by people, which almost makes me feel indirectly responsible because if I really wanted to, I may have been able to protest or help out surrounding opposers of the project. When I see a leaves making a difference, it makes me think that I can too! The Tupper lake may be an intimidating change with big affects, but the leaves encourage me to believe that I can play an equally intimidating role to counter such projects.

    ReplyDelete