Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

This is in part a test blog. I figure since I'm assigning you to do them, I should make sure I know how to do them myself. There are three points I want to make beyond simply showing and testing.

1) You should be sure to sign up for daily updates to the Adirondack Almanack.  You can click that link to get right to the page! Click "email" in the upper right-hand corner to sign up for these daily news emails. This is a wonderful news-service/blog about the Adirondacks, and a lot of well-known writers post there (including Phil Terrie and Peter Bauer). The site features stories and news about politics in the park, the Adirondack Park Agency, various major developments, wildlife and adventure, ecology, and so on. It could be helpful in pointing you towards final project topics.

2) Lake Abanakee, which figures near the end of McKibben's book, has a special place in my heart.  This is the place where the Hudson River Rafting begins--at the dam at the north end of the lake. And the water form the lake is the immediate source of the "bubble" that he writes about. This is also where my wife and I have a "camp," or as we call it, a "cottage," or as our friends call it, a "house." We notice the lake rising and falling on the weekly schedule of bubbles, which always makes me think of the people going down the Indian and Hudson rivers.


3) Here's a link to the 90-miler that a bunch of people in the class are doing. The website needs work. I hope that those doing the race will post some pictures and stories on the blog! Good luck, and, Go Blue.

The ADK seminar at Wenonah last year. Figure out what they are spelling.
4) Extra point! The random picture above, which it took me 30 minutes to add. Plus, I just did what Madison suggested--setting up a "user" on your computer that is you on google mail, open to the blog. That way, rather than logging out of your Hamilton account, into your gmail account, opening the blog, signing into it, etc., all you have to do is change users (which in my Mac just means clicking my name on the upper right hand corner, and then entering a single password). Easy peasy.

Onno

No comments:

Post a Comment