Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

NYCO

When I was scrolling through the Adirondack almanac I stumbled upon an article by Lisa Devaney called “Don’t mind the lichen: A tourist defends her Adirondacks.”   In the article, Devaney discusses her disapproval of the NYCO deal.  She states, “When I found out about Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s plan to allow 200 acres of pristine Adirondack wilderness be subjected to open pit mining, I cried.  How can this be possible? The governor’s own father, Mario Cuomo, called for the Adirondacks to remain forever wild, decades ago. And didn’t New York State conservation law protect the wild, wonderful and fragile environment of the Adirondack region?” Devaney then goes on to explain how the opening of the land to mining was the result of a confusingly worded voter referendum. Devaney and Phil Terrie both share the same dislike of the NYCO resolution and they have both convinced me that it was a bad decision. I, too, can’t believe how people voted for a swap of lands without knowing exactly what lands would be swapped. I feel like the voters weren’t informed enough to make such an important decision, and I also believe that a dangerous precedent has been set.


Devaney also states in her article how she supports “Adirondack Wild: Friends of the Forest Preserve.”  This organization is defending the 200 acres threatened by NYCO and she says that if you want to join the cause and defend these 200 acres you can share your views on social media with the hash tag #KeepAdirondacksForeverWild

No comments:

Post a Comment