Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2014

No One Likes a Tattle-tale

Although Cronon's view on wilderness receives mixed reviews, my thoughts on the park and the natural world in general have aligned considerably with his. Every time I read something that describes a particular area or piece of land "valuable" or "worthless", I always ask myself - to whom? Cronon emphasizes the representation of wilderness, which I believe to be very important when it comes to protecting the park.We, as a species, are the ones interacting with nature -- looking at it, writing about it, learning from it, and we therefore determine its worth based on what we think of it. I can understand why this is not a popular idea, since many readers interpret this as somewhat accusatory. However, I don't think this necessarily the case. I think it's simply an accurate commentary on a particular inevitable experience that is intended to make us more aware of it. The only way to find a solution is to understand every aspect of the problem, even if that means admitting the potential harm in human romanticism of wilderness. He is attempting to keep humans from getting in their own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment