Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Why climb a mountain?

While discussing the importance of mountains, Professor Dash posed the following questions: “Why do people climb mountains? Why them in particular?” One of the following comments led us to the idea of some “otherness” the experience provides, and while I can understand this feeling, I wanted to be able to explain it through the written word.

Even though mountains are a part of the natural world, it’s easy for me to separate them from most other landforms because of their sheer size. Their only competition comes from underwater ridges/rises and volcanoes. Underwater ridges/rises occur at divergent tectonic plate boundaries, and cannot be climbed because they are only found in the deep ocean. Volcanoes can be climbed to a certain extent, but are dangerous when active and still sketchy when dormant. Mountains, on the other hand, are more easily accessible and rarely dangerous as long as you know what you’re doing. Because they are not easily altered, mountains are also timeless; they are one of the more obvious constants of nature. Their stature makes them feel majestic and powerful, as if the human race cannot conquer them.

When climbing a mountain, there are usually no modern-day distractions. Hiking allows someone the opportunity to get in touch with themselves as well as nature. Because the only thing to focus on is the act of ascending, your mind is free to wander. The feeling of accomplishment when you reach the top is difficult to replicate since it stems from the completion of both a demanding physical feat and self-reflection throughout the journey.


Mountains can also represent a physical trek analogous to the difficulties of life. Throughout history, people have romanticized the phrase “to climb a mountain” to mean the accomplishment of a laborious goal. To climb a mountain is to overcome a life obstacle. The same mental process cannot be found in another activity, and the characteristics of the mountain itself are just as important in creating the sense of “otherness” hikers feel. Each person you ask might define this “otherness” in a different way, but at least for me, it’s the feeling of nostalgia for simpler times and a deeper understanding of what it means to be human.

4 comments:

  1. I can really relate to the reason you pose here about why mountains are so special and significant. I especially liked how you noted that "climbing a mountain" is used in everyday vernacular to define the act of overcoming hardship, difficulties, obstacles, and challenges. If climbing a mountain is a metaphor for achieving something, who would not want to climb a mountain? I think this sense of accomplishment, of conquering the mountain is a huge part of the appeal of mountains overall.
    I also liked that you noted peoples' ability to get in touch with themselves while hiking a mountain. While traveling in South Africa last semester I went on various hikes in very remote areas and each time I could not believe how refreshed and alive I felt. Through conversations with others and internal thoughts I felt like I learned so much about my peers and myself. I think hiking, traveling, and being in nature prompts people to open up in many instances. As you said, with hiking comes a sense of accomplishment and a sense of being "on top of the world." I think it is this sensation that helps individuals find confidence and in many cases, themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with what has been said. To me climbing a mountain is a sort of yoga for me. It helps me unwind and reflect. There is actually a study behind this kind of activity that shows how activities such as hiking help deal with stress. It gives you a semi occupied mind, it allows you to focus on what you are currently doing, but not demand too much of your focus so your subconscious can deal with stress. It is one of the reasons why we need to protect area's that offer a natural release.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really interesting to consider how, through a brief connection with nature, we also connect with ourselves. I agree with you, Amanda, as well as with both John and Aaron in emphasizing the importance of personal growth and relaxation through the act of climbing a mountain. I'd like to think sometimes that by hiking a mountain, I'm giving back to the forest I'm working to preserve as well - so it is no longer humans exploiting resources but rather a symbiotic relationship between people and nature where humans learn from nature to be in turn protected by humans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really interesting to consider how, through a brief connection with nature, we also connect with ourselves. I agree with you, Amanda, as well as with both John and Aaron in emphasizing the importance of personal growth and relaxation through the act of climbing a mountain. I'd like to think sometimes that by hiking a mountain, I'm giving back to the forest I'm working to preserve as well - so it is no longer humans exploiting resources but rather a symbiotic relationship between people and nature where humans learn from nature to be in turn protected by humans.

    ReplyDelete