Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

Nature in the Modern World

             As we have discussed in class, Russell Banks’ Cloudsplitter is filled with detailed descriptions of natural scenery. Just as we did in class, I spent a significant amount of time pondering why Banks would choose to dedicate so many pages to Owen Brown’s surroundings. I feel that Banks’ decision to focus so intently on what Brown sees is indicative of the vastly different lifestyle people led at that time. I mentioned in class that I thought Brown’s focus on nature was possibly due to a lack of distractions, such as phones and computers. However, I believe the more important distinction between how Owen Brown views the world and how people view it in modern times (or at least people at Hamilton) lies in our respective perceptions of how we depend on the land on which we live. I think it is clear that Owen Brown has a far deeper connection to his land than I do to mine, which, if nothing else, is demonstrated by the fact that I do not own land besides my apartment. Owen Brown lives and works on his land, which inherently forces him to be connected to it and everything around it. I, on the other hand, can choose to be completely disconnected from nature. For someone in this day and age, a journey into a natural setting is generally for leisure. This crucial difference in mindset is what I believe truly distinguishes Owen Brown and me, or more broadly, people who lived during Brown’s time and those who are living now, and I feel that it is the reason why Banks elects to have Brown spend so much time describing his surroundings in Cloudsplitter.

             Brown’s focus on nature stirs jealousy in me, because I wish I could be similarly in tune with the natural world. Unfortunately, untouched land, or even lightly used land is exceedingly difficult to find today. It is exciting to imagine the sense of discovery, adventure, and excitement that Brown must have felt at points during his life when he trekked in areas so few people had seen. However, these feelings were likely coupled with fear and trepidation at times, as the natural world was obviously viewed as something far more mysterious than it is today. While people today have the opportunity to feel everything Brown may have felt while in nature, these experiences are less intense almost by default, because the natural world has lost much of its mystery. While this saddens me to some extent, I also try to see the positive side of the situation. The improved understanding humans now have of our world allows us to better protect areas of wilderness. While it is ironic that wild land only needs protection because of the harmful actions of humans, it is nonetheless beneficial that those who care now have a far stronger understanding of how to maintain a wild planet than did those during the time of Owen Brown. The time during which Owen Brown lived to a large extent dictated his connection to the natural world around him, but this intimate connection between humans and nature is something that can still be found and nurtured today. While I believe his constant descriptions of his surroundings demonstrate the difference between himself and the modern individual, I think his focus on nature is something that everyone can still strive to achieve.

Citations:
Banks, Russell. Cloudsplitter. New York, NY: Harper Flamingo, 1998. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jared thanks for sharing. My experience growing up in Vermont on 10 acres of pasture and woods is very different from yours of living in an apartment. I agree that John Browns focus on a nature is something for everyone to strive to achieve. You are lucky to have chosen Hamilton so that you have a chance to experience nature between the Glen and trips to the Adirondacks.

    ReplyDelete