Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2015

I'll Be Honest

     In perfect honesty, I am having a very difficult time writing my blog post this week. The seemingly unending parade of tragedy marching across the world stage in past days makes it difficult to focus on personal, local, or even regional issues with any sort of sincerity. Even my daily search for a relevant environmental news article to discuss has left me with a pittance of possibilities worth any real discussion.
    It is this experience that has granted me an opportunity to adopt a perspective I have long since abandoned: that of the environmentally unconscious. The past few days has let me become increasingly aware of what it is like for the bulk of the world, or at least nation. In ignoring the drip of environmental news in favor of the flood of international tragedies, I have come to realize just how easy it is to not care about seeing the forest for the trees in a very literal sense.
     One of the many privileges that come with a position in academia is the ability to have abstract conversations about the world's "Big Issues", including environmental concerns. Oftentimes, these issues can be discussed theoretically and in an isolated bubble. This is a benefit of higher education that I am thankful for; the opportunity to discuss environmental degradation without having to experience the brunt of the world's atrocities. Being educated in this sheltered existence has some obvious drawbacks, namely a sense of ignorance that can creep in if an individual is not careful to think beyond The Hill's confines.
     This is leading me to the realization that when we talk about environmental issues, we must also discuss how these larger issues such as predator reintroduction or sustainable farming fit into a larger context of not just environmental theories but also world concerns. In doing this, I believe that we can grow a more palatable and pervasive environmental movement with a deeper awareness of where peoples' priorities lie.

2 comments:

  1. Very well said. A lot of what you said resonated with me and it was great to hear someone else express a similar sentiment. It's tough to keep perspective in such a privileged scenario as ours and even more so with regard to the environment as the immediacy of the issue pales in comparison to some of the issues we're now seeing worldwide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it's so difficult to keep perspective with all the terrifying events that have been unfolding. Still, it's saddening that our attention can focus so completely on human tragedies. The media has put on blinders it seems, because among the recent tragedies are environmental disasters as well, including the Samarco disaster in Brazil. It's worth reading up on.

    ReplyDelete