Pages

Monday, December 14, 2015

Hope from Despair

During the public poster session for our class, I began to realize how truly diverse the Adirondack Park is. After looking at each of the posters, I started to think about how deeply each of the issues affects people, the land, or in most cases, both. For example, with my poster, there was a vast array of research regarding acid rain in the Adirondacks, and in reading about it, I was able to understand how much it affects humans, aquatic species, and the land within the park. While examining my peers’ posters, I thought about all the research they had to sift through, and the experiences and data that led to the existence of that research. Looking at the issues from that perspective, I began to comprehend the breadth of experiences and issues that have resulted from the existence of the Adirondacks.
            As our course came to a close, I tried to continually think about the cultural and natural diversity of the park and what ramifications this diversity will have on the park’s future. Admittedly, my first thoughts on the subject were pessimistic. If there are so many different issues that cause tension in the Adirondacks, I wondered how any of them would ever receive the necessary attention to be solved. Furthermore, I questioned whether many of the debates, such as the one over recreational automobiles, could ever be solved, or if they would simply continue to cause hostility among people within the Adirondacks. In a place with limited resources, natural as well as monetary, it may seem that the huge array of issues requiring attention would cause the park to fragment and fall into a state of disarray.

            However, despite the myriad problems in the Adirondack Park, it is revered for its beauty, diversity, and history, and successfully provides enjoyment for many. This enjoyment comes in the form of outdoor recreation, museums, and residential areas, among other things. In thinking about the breadth of issues faced in the Adirondacks, I realized that there is much to fight for. These issues exist because many people care deeply about the park, whether it is for the park’s sake or their own. Though there is much to accomplish, many things have already been done, and there will always be those who are passionate about the Adirondacks. Through attempting to understand the breadth of the history and problems within the park, I found comfort in knowing that the park will always receive the attention and care necessary to ensure its survival and success.

No comments:

Post a Comment