Pages

Monday, February 8, 2016

Stillwater Reservoir and AA reflections

I was supposed to lead the Cranberry Lake Sea Kayaking trip this past year for Adirondack Adventure. However, due to too many trips assigned to Cranberry Lake, my co-leader and I were told only a few days before our trip that we would be going to Stillwater Reservoir instead. We met with Andrew to discuss our itinerary, and after listening to him gush about Stillwater’s beauty and tranquility for a while, he mentioned as an afterthought that it was a manmade lake. This definitely struck me; why would we lead an AA trip, all about appreciating and connecting with nature, to a manmade lake? And why was this lake made in the first place? I never  got my answer to the first question, other than it was still beautiful and we had a great time, but I decided to look into answering my question about Stillwater Reservoir’s origin.
            Stillwater Reservoir is located in the western Adirondacks, and has become a pretty popular recreational site during all four seasons (1). According to the Department of Environmental Conservation, Stillwater Reservoir offers “remote wilderness camping, canoeing, boating, fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, and cross-country skiing” (1). Stillwater is 10 miles long and a mile wide, making it the largest man-made lake in New York State (2). The Five Ponds Wilderness Area and the Independence River Wild Forest, both well-protected areas of the Park, surround Stillwater Reservoir (1). The state recently added restrictions to Stillwater’s recreational use, such as using only set campsites and camping a certain of number of feet from the high-water mark, which lead me to believe that Stillwater’s rise in popularity has resulted in some environmental consequences (1).
            The high-water mark that I mentioned above refers to the change in water level that comes from the removal of water from Stillwater; it is, after all, a manmade reservoir. From what I can find, the reservoir’s origin can be traced back to the creation of an unsuccessful dam on the Beaver River. The Beaver River extends off of Stillwater Reservoir, and quickly becomes heavily protected private land. In the late 1800’s, a dam was constructed on the river, but consistent flooding from the dam plagued the Beaver River settlement (3). Due to the push for flooding mitigation, and the growing need of freshwater reservoirs, the Stillwater Reservoir was built in 1882 (3). The reservoir was initially too small to do much good, and was enlarged in 1925 from inundating 2,800 acres to inundating 6,700 acres, which included 3,092 acres of Forest Preserve Land (3). However, the enlargement was largely considered successful, with the threat of flooding greatly diminished and the added benefits of better sanitation and more recreational space (3). One effect of the enlargement was the submersion of the only road to the Beaver River Settlement; now, the land is accessible only by boat, foot, or snowmobile, preserving a small settlement that has been passed down for generations (3).

            The Adirondack Express called Stillwater famous for its remoteness, but that was not my experience on our trip. I can vividly remember the anger I felt while, on our fireside vigil on the last night, I could easily hear the radio from a campsite across the lake. I was incredibly upset that the time to peacefully reflect upon the trip was assaulted by pop music until three in the morning. Since taking this class, and learning about the issues surrounding the park, I keep coming back to this memory. At the time, I was righteously angry at our neighbor’s “misuse” of the park, but now I’m not so sure how I feel. I remember thinking that this wouldn’t be happening on a naturally-made lake, which is silly and most likely false. While we were on a manmade feature, with the sound of my participants giggling at the pop music clearly audible, we were still enjoying a beautiful landscape in the company of others doing the exact same thing.  When it comes down to it, we were both enjoying and taking advantage of the benefits of the Adirondacks, so really who am I to judge?

Bibliography:



No comments:

Post a Comment