Pages

Monday, March 28, 2016

Chaga

The idea that nature has the ability to heal is one that has come up many times in studying the Adirondack park. It will forever be a mystery whether simply being in the presence of nature can cure any illness, but the mystery subsides when it comes to consumable organisms with apparent health benefits. Chaga, a fungus that grows on living Birch trees, has the power to improve the health of the individual who consumes it. The extent of the health benefits may be questioned by some, however, with the numerous advantages of consuming the fungus, the doubts are irrelevant. 



When camping in the north Maine woods a few summers ago, my trip leader invited me, and the rest of my trip, to sample a tea made from the fungus called Chaga. I skeptically tasted tea and to my surprise, it wasn’t half bad. Making this tea is fairly straight forward. It just requires the fungus from a living Birch tree and a pot of boiling water. Fortunately, the Adirondacks have this fungus growing on living Birch trees in the forests. The fungus grows on the tree until the tree dies and then it too dies releasing spores into the wind. The fungus has an exceptional amount of antioxidants, so many that it has the acai berry beaten. The nutrients in the fungus have the power to protect DNA from mutation and provide the body with the vitamins and minerals that boost immune system health. The tea has been proven to help with health problems such as cancer, psoriasis, bronchitis, asthma, and even HIV. Chaga’s DNA is 30% closer to human’s DNA than it is to plant DNA making it a good match for human consumption. With access to the tea, individuals in the wilderness can prevent and cure illnesses simply with natural ingredients. Maybe the essence of the woods is not what cures sick individuals, but the plants and fungi with medicinal functions are. 




2 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! I can't believe people drink tea from a fungi.. I wonder who first thought to do that! I'll keep my eyes out next time I see birch trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled upon Chaga while researching natural fire starting techniques as this was used as tinder for a coal. The next several hours found me engrossed in the medicinal properties that Chaga offers. I am certain that I have seen this in the wilds and moving forward will focus more closely to the trees rather than the forest! Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete