Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

90 Miler

When I told my parents that I had decided to compete for the second time in the Adirondack Canoe Classic, a 90 (or 83, depending on who you ask) mile canoe race from Old Forge to Saranac Lake, they asked me if marathon canoe racing was something I that I actually enjoyed. I didn't have a good answer. I can remember how tired, sore, and blistered I had been after my first 90 miler but I did not hesitate when I signed up to do it again.

 The race starts in the southwest corner of the park in the town of Old Forge, NY. The first day of the race follows the Fulton Chain lakes, which are referred to as First through Eighth lakes--McKibben was right about the lack of creativity in place names in the Adirondacks. After a couple carries (be careful not to call them portages), the course becomes a bit more technical as you enter a narrow, marshy river called Brown's Tract. Thick vegetation and beaver dams are sure to cause problems for inexperienced paddlers who stray from the center. Brown's Tract opens up into Raquette lake, which is certainly a welcome change of scenery. After crossing the Raquette and paddling the Marion river (upstream!), the only obstacle separating you from the finish is 3 more lakes--a convenient number, as 3 is the highest number you can count to by the end of the first day, as team advisor and 90 miler veteran Andrew Jillings says.

If the first day of the race is a physical challenge, the second is more of a mental one. You begin the day by paddling the entire length of Long Lake, which is unique only for being long. After 2 hours with potentially difficult cross winds and little change in scenery, you come to a support boat where race organizers throw Snickers bars at your boat--you'll have to ask my captain, Ally, why we chose to forgo this pit stop. Next you begin paddling down the Raquette River and keep paddling for 3-6 hours, depending on if you're in an 8-person war canoe or a going solo on a paddle board.

The last day of the race is certainly the highlight of the weekend. By the third day, I was nearly too sore to move my arms, but once I got into rhythm of paddling and became absorbed in the scenery, I managed to keep paddling without thinking of the discomfort. After crossing Middle Saranac Lake, you paddle through a network of rivers with  magnificent rocky cliffs lining the banks as well what I believe to be the best view in the Adirondacks. You are greeted at the finish in Saranac Lake by enthusiastic crowds as well as quite possibly the worst view in the Adirondacks--two far too tall concrete buildings loom over the town, which is reminiscent of the blend of wilderness and settlement throughout the park.
As I paddled at 72 reps/minute with my $300 carbon fiber paddle and $2000 Kevlar C4, I wondered if this was really the best way to experience the Adirondacks. We certainly experienced the "forever wild" parts of the park that seemed only accessible by canoe and also saw the great camps along Fourth Lake. However, we also seemed to reinforce materialism with all our stuff, which McKibben and the romantic idealists of the 19th century sought to minimize by spending time in the wilderness. One particular carry stands out in my mind. I was walking with the bow of the canoe on top of my head, barely able to see 2 feet in front of myself, surely missing out on a fantastic view. I ripped off an "expresso" [sic] Gu that I had taped to my boat, choked it down, and threw the trash on the ground. I knew that it would be picked up later, but I couldn't help but feel as if I had disrespected the wilderness. I am fortunate to have been able to see so much of the region, but I hope to experience more of it outside of the race. I'll be back next year, without a doubt.    



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Peter - hopefully next year your boat stops at the snickers pit boat stop haha. But in all seriousness, I enjoyed reading your post about the 90. I liked how you summarized those 3 insanely long and crazy days into one post. As I read through it, it brought me back to all the adventures we experienced each day. I also liked how you ended by stepping back and contemplating the materialistic way in which we explored the 'dacks during this weekend - nice point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peter, I'm pretty impressed that you were able to canoe that far! It sounds like it was extremely challenging but also really rewarding. Although I've never canoed 90 miles, I imagine that the physical challenge is similar to that of taking a really long hike. (something I'm more familiar with) I was reminded of one hike in particular, one I took to the top of Whiteface Mountains with a few of my friends, when you talked about the physical exhaustion that the canoeing caused you to feel. I remember my legs burning when I got to the top, but I also felt an incredible sense of pride and excitement of having gotten to the top. I felt really close to nature at the top of that mountain, like I had earned my place and I deserved to be there. I wonder if you felt the same feeling after your canoe.

    ReplyDelete