Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Who deserves a hike?


Today I did something that I have done many times before, but for the first time after reading the words of Bill McKibben; I climbed a mountain. Sleeping Giant, a mountain located in Hamden, Connecticut has about 30 miles of hiking trails and a breathtaking view of Quinnipiac University (if you know which trails to take). Walking up the trails on a Sunday it was a bit crowded, noisy even at some points which made me think about all the side comments Bill McKibben would have been making in his book had he been in my position. Even though we took the blue trail, which is considered the most difficult terrain, there always seemed to be another person within view or earshot. I love hiking and any outdoor activity really and this made me think if there had ever been a time I had done something without the company of others or the comfort of strangers out on a similar adventure in the way Bikk McKibben had. Thinking of his perspective on others made me angry while reading his book. He seemed so judgmental of anyone who didn’t live up to his standard of natural living. To me it seemed a little bit like he was trying to win a contest to be the most “natural” human being, or the most respectful of nature, whatever that means. I especially didn’t like how he judged people for the square footage of their homes, or people who inhabited the Adirondacks while he himself had double the square footage by owning two homes and also resided in the Adirondacks. I respect his dedication and knowledge but the feeling that he would judge my way of life as not natural enough to enjoy the Adirondacks and other parts of nature was something I found off putting in his writing.

2 comments:

  1. Even though I hike often I sometimes feel like I am judged by other more "legit" hikers. I generally decide to wear Hamilton Hockey T-Shirts and simple quick dry shorts and pass on the coveted brand name apparel. I feel like a snap judgement is being made about my wilderness experience/ conservation involvement because I may not look the part (or at least not like Bill McKibben). Keep on explorin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. I grew up going to the Adirondacks with my family and I felt that was a safe place to escape the judgement based culture you operate in in everyday life. It seems disappointing to me that Bill McKibben and others like him would pass certain judgements about people trying to enjoy nature in whatever way they are capable. I may not own all the right hiking gear or know the ways of every mountain but I think the importance is getting people out there to appreciate it. I think having some sense of connection with nature will help with conservation and preservation efforts all across the country.

    ReplyDelete