Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Traffic on the High Peaks


We got all 46 peaks for the first time in Hamilton history!  Congratulations to everyone who participated!  This past Saturday I hiked my first three 46ers: Macomb, South Dix and Grace!  Upon summiting Macomb I was in complete awe of the beauty.  The weather was absolutely perfect and there was not a single cloud in the sky.  Because we got an early start, the morning sun was just christening the bright red and gold leaves, giving them the vibrant autumn glow that is unique to fall in the northeast.  The one thing that did surprise me was how crowded the mountain was.  We were never alone on the summits, usually sharing it with more than one group at a time, and a couple of dogs.  We also passed several groups on trail.  I have never seen so many hikers on a mountain in my life and it definitely altered my experience.  Even when I felt alone on the trail, I could be sure that there was a group about ten minutes in front of us and behind us.  I felt as if my personal achievement of reaching the peak was discredited because upon summiting it was clear that many other people had already done it that day.  My achievement became more of an average feat than the massive triumph for which I had hoped.  Instead of having an intimate experience with the mountain, I got a somewhat congested version of the Adirondack wilderness.  This is relevant to the brief discussion we had about whether tourists are good or bad for the park.  We argued that they are good because they advocate for the park and their level of involvement in the wilderness is generally self-selective.  But is this so?  Is the park becoming so populated now that even the wildest parts are becoming crowded?  Should a limit be put on tourism in the park, or is tourism what is keeping the park alive?  Although an argument could be made for both sides, I do know that I enjoyed my first three high peaks and that they will not be my last!    

No comments:

Post a Comment