Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Squirrel!

     I pushed open the side door of KJ that faces List and Minor Field. As the grey door slid open, it halted, pressed up against the knee-high snow that had built up outside. The opening was too small for me to pass through, so I tried the adjacent door, which opened with far more ease. My friend and I started down the flattened path of snow, which led to the more or less cleared road near List. I picked each step carefully, avoiding the far deeper snow on either side. 
     Halfway down the path I noticed a set of tracks on my right. These led to a tree about 30 feet away and vanished. Excited, I called my friend back and asked her to take a picture. The tracks would have to be compared to those in Nature Guide to the Northern Forest to confirm the suspicion that a red squirrel had been here.


                                  (Photo taken and masterfully filtered by: Jillian Donze)

     While the tracks in Marchand's book looked similar enough, further research suggested that the tracks may have also been those of the Eastern grey squirrel. Nonetheless, I pushed to discover more about the American red squirrel. The red squirrel generally ranges from 11 to 14 inches in length and weighs approximately 7 oz. These squirrels tend to be solitary, but may nest in groups for the sake of maintaining body temperature. Their nests are made primarily of grass and bark in conifers, garages, attics, or other potentially warm areas. Here, red squirrels survive off the green pine cones, nuts, and seeds that they collect throughout fall.    
     This storage of food happens to play a significant role in spreading seeds in the forest. The nuts and seeds are stored in piles, or middens, near logs, trees, and underground. Throughout the winter these stores are eaten, but occasionally some are left over or never found. As a result, seeds are unintentionally planted throughout the forest. While we have been discussing the significant effects of large beaver populations or the extirpation of wolves in the Adirondacks, it is interesting to consider the roles of other animals in the Adirondacks. The red squirrel offers a particularly interesting example as it unintentionally benefits the conifers around it.    



Sources:

Nature Guide to the Northern Forest, Marchand
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/redsquirrel.htm
http://nyfalls.com/wildlife/mammals/squirrels/
http://forestry.com/blog/the-american-red-squirrel/

1 comment:

  1. I agree that we often overlook the smaller animals because they are seen more often, and therefore not considered to be anything out of the ordinary. I'm personally guilty of this trend; whenever I go on vacation I always hope to see the animal that's hardest to spot. Every once in a while I am successful, but I think it's more enjoyable to appreciate what is already around you. I have also noticed that my appreciation for small wildlife has grown since I came to Hamilton. When I'm home I usually drive most places, but at school my only option is to walk around campus, which gives me more time to consider what's around me. As most people on campus agree, the squirrels are particularly entertaining when you give yourself the time to appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete