Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Chimney Mountain

Generally when we think of the Adirondacks, we think of the High Peaks.  Often times, visitors (myself included) forget about the amazing trails and views that other portions of the park have to offer.  Over fall break, due to time constraints, I was forced to find a trail/campsite that was within an hour and a half from Hamilton College.  As someone who only had experience hiking and camping in the High Peaks, I had no idea where to go.  Basically, I went online and looked at pictures of campsites and scenic overlooks until I found one that seemed nice.  An hour before departing Hamilton, I settled on Chimney Mountain.  I cannot explain how lucky I was in randomly choosing this hike; it was absolutely amazing.  The parking lot for the trail is located on private land, so there is a “required,” small $2 fee.  Upon reaching the trailhead, I discovered that Chimney Mountain also houses the deepest known cave in the Adirondack’s - Eagle Cave!  At 5pm I began the 1.4 mile hike up the 2,700 foot mountain.  Not going to lie, this was absolutely exhausting with a pack full of camping gear, but it was completely worth it.  Just as the sun was setting, I reached the campsite (which is a lovely area located just below the summit) and began to set up camp using the little daylight that remained.  After dinner, I tried to explore the summit, but at that point it was too dark to see much.  I went to bed excited for the view the morning light would bring.
The welcome sign at the parking lot (Source: http://www.thecabinsatchimneymountain.com/Pages/default.aspx)
This peak did not disappoint.  In fact, it exceeded all expectations.  The chimney on Chimney Mountain was an amazing, climbable rock formation.  There was a breathtaking panoramic view that rivaled those of the High Peaks, which was especially magical with the fall foliage.  I honestly cannot say enough positive things about this hike.

Some random people hanging out on the chimney (Source:http://media.syracuse.com/post-standard/photo/2011/10/10142168-essay.jpg)

After exploring the summit, I decided to look for Eagle Cave.  Unfortunately, due to my last minute planning, I had no clue where this cave was located, so I was unable to find it.  The cave is closed from now until May to protect hibernating bats, but I definitely plan to go back in the spring.

Sources:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/caverns-adirondacks-62936.html

No comments:

Post a Comment