Pages

Friday, November 6, 2015

Winter Is Coming: XC Skiing Adventures in the Adirondacks

           When I was very small, I learned how to downhill ski at Powder Ridge in my home state Connecticut and with my cousins in Le Gets, France. I haven’t skied down hill for years and years, but I do remember that I never wanted to slow down, and would whisk past my parents, giving them both heart attacks. However, I soon grew away from downhill skiing. I think the slope we would go to every winter closed, and later what was available to us was a cross-country ski center near where we used to have a home in the Adirondacks.
Half an hour from our little house in Keene Valley, and five miles from the wonderful town of Lake Placid, Cascade Ski Center is the ultimate embodiment of Adirondack coziness and adventure. With 20 kilometers of groomed, varying, gorgeous trails, as well as a lodge restaurant and bar, Cascade is the perfect place to spend an day with family, friends, or just with your own thoughts. Skis can be bought or rented at Cascade’s ski shop and the rates for gallivanting about the trails for the day are quite reasonable. The trails not only vary in difficulty and length, but there are also trails that connect with the Mount Van Hoevenberg and Jack Rabbit trail systems. You could ski to Lake Placid if you wanted to!
What I find most valuable about cross-country skiing, is that instead of zipping past small clumps of trees and only seeing white open slope ahead of you, as in downhill skiing, XC is much more of a meditative activity. Skiing more slowly through thin, intimate trails, surrounded on all sides by pure Adirondack nature is what makes the pastime so magical. It is a non-destructive, quiet way of traversing the forests in winter, as skiers and snow-shoers stay on their respective trails. Cascade Ski Center is preserving this land as well as educating people about it by giving them access to such a personal way of interacting with nature.
Not my photo, but a good example of what the trails look like! 
Other pros are the health benefits! Cross-country skiing is not rocket science but it also certainly isn’t easy. For someone as out of shape as I am, the first ski of the season is going to hurt like hell! But at the same time I can’t wait, because this kind of skiing really works on toning muscles we don’t use enough. It’ll give you legs and abs of steel, honestly! I remember getting so warm from skiing that we returned to the lodge with out coats strapped to our packs and when my dad went out onto the porch as we had hot chocolate inside, he was steaming like he’d come out of a sauna.
Tiny tiny me at Cascade, many many years ago.
Finally, someone new I’ve learned about Cascade Ski Center, is that they host full moon celebrations! Every full moon in the winter they throw a party!
“Each winter season Cascade Cross Country Center celebrates the full moon with a party. The ski trails are lit for evening skiing under the moon light. On the trail you will find Bon-fires, beer, hot dogs, and hot chocolate. The lodge provides a cozy fireplace, food, drink, and a live band for a full evening of enjoyment.”
If that doesn’t get you to visit Cascade, I don’t know what will! Have a wonderful weekend everyone, and start getting your coats, hats, gloves and skis out, because though it doesn’t feel like it right now at Hamilton College, “winter is coming!”
Oaklea, my daddy, and I in front of the wonderful view from the Cascade lodge.
Sources:

Photos:

http://adirondackgooselodge.com/?page_id=337

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for blogging this Petra! I have always been a downhill skier and have never considered trying xc. However, after reading this blog I think I might enjoy a meditative trip through the woods. Also, the workout you receive from it is even more of a plus.

    ReplyDelete