Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Adirondack Art

When visiting the Adirondack Museum, I loved looking at their art gallery. I thought their extensive collection was very impressive. I have always loved looking at art because just as we said in class, you cannot interpret a painting incorrectly. Art makes you feel a certain way due to our own frame of mind and I think that is wonderful.
In the Adirondack Museum, I took a picture of a painting entitled “Lake George” by Richard William Hubbard that stuck out to me. Richard William Hubbard was a member of the Hudson River School, known for their interest in painting majestic American landscapes. He was born in Connecticut, attended Yale College, and after pursued his painting career at New York University under Samuel Morse. He traveled to Europe briefly, reflected in his painting aesthetic upon his return. He frequently visited the Adirondacks and the Catskills, which he drew great inspiration from.
Another artist that struck me was Rockwell Kent. I did not see his painting specifically in the Adirondack Museum, but we did learn about him during our trip to Asgaard Farm, where he lived beginning in 1927. He was born in Tarrytown, New York and studied architecture at Columbia University.
Although he also drew inspiration from the Adirondacks, he has a different aesthetic than Richard William Hubbard. Kent uses a lot of broad, flat, colorful shapes while Hubbard is much more detailed and stylistic. However both conveyed to me a very similar message. I felt at peace in both paintings. I could almost hear the utter quiet very rarely experienced in our world today. Both these paintings brought me back to a specific moment at Litchfield Castle. On the Sunday morning before we left the Adirondacks, I ventured out to the back porch at Litchfield. I stopped and listened and for one of the only times in my life I heard absolutely nothing. There were no roads or houses near Litchfield, something that is hard to achieve, and we were completely alone in the wild. In both these paintings there are signs of human life, like the farm house in Kent’s painting or the boat in Hubbard’s, but to me it felt like I was that human presence and there was no other humans around, just like at Litchfield.

Rockwell Kent
Untitled: Asgaard Farm
http://www.adkmuseum.org/discover_and_learn/collections_highlights/detail/?q=rockwell+kent&cat=0&type=0&x=0&y=0&id=28 
Richard William Hubbard
Lake George, 1865
Adirondack Museum



2 comments:

  1. There are definitely a lot of similarities between Kent's style and Georgia O'Keeffe's Lake George paintings. They both focus on very bold swaths of color to convey emotion rather than a realistic representation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how both the paintings represent a soft, calm view of the Adirondacks. The mountains are seemingly endless and distant. It also provides a expansive scale for the rest of the painting, and the frequently painted Adirondack landscape makes the viewer feel tiny in execution.

    ReplyDelete