Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

Camps and chromosomes

Bear with me on this one. When I was thinking today about what a "camp" means, and from our discussion, it became clear that there are plenty of different interpretations of what a camp is. For me, the word "camp" can have two definitions depending on the perspective that you look at it. If you're looking at a single lodge on the scale of an acre - sure, you can call it a camp. But if you're looking at a whole community of lodges and service buildings on the scale of 50 acres, the entire area is a camp. The individual lodges, though the same size as in the first example, no longer take the form of a camp.

This drew me to the comparison with chromosomes. The phase in the cell cycle or reference point determines the definition of "chromosome." For instance, "chromosome" can refer to the pair of sister chromatids when joined together. But when the chromatids separate, they each become known as chromosomes.

I'm sure there are other words that take on different definitions depending on the reference point. The analogy might be a stretch, but that's at least how I envision "camps."

No comments:

Post a Comment