Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Climate

Im not skeptical about global at all. Some people dont believe its "real", they say its just part of the cycle that the earth must go through. Even so climate change is here, and its trending upwards. Last week, we all experienced that beautiful, amazing, glorious, warm, 75 degree, (fall) day. We all shaved our legs and stripped down to shorts and sandals and pretended it was the summer all over again, knowing that by tomorrow we would be bundled up in our brand name jackets all over again. This weekend, at my house in Pennsylvania, I experienced another similar phenomenon. On Saturday, I raked leaves and washed the cars with my parents, but today was straight from hell. Windy, freezing. Yes, 32 degrees. It doesn't make sense to me, my body (and my wardrobe) are confused. So how are the plants and animals feeling about the rapid change in temperatures? I have always assumed they are accustomed to a change from winter to summer happening over the entire season of fall, not from Saturday to Sunday. While I found close to nothing on the subject of "what happens to animals when the weather changes rapidly", I was bombarded with countless links warning of the risk of many species facing extinction if they are unable to evolve at the rate of climate change. Weve put entire SPECIES at risk of extinction and now were asking them to evolve a little faster. Hopefully, we can adapt to cleaner and more sustainable ways of living our human lives before we lose these species at the  cost of urbanization.

1 comment:

  1. You raise an interesting point here. To be honest when it was 75 degrees last week I was really excited about it, like many of my friends. I didn't even think about how confused the plants and animals must have been. Although plants and animals are able to adapt to gradual weather changes, abrupt and severe changes can have drastic affects on them. It's sad to think that humans are changing the climate and the weather at a pace that is too fast for plants and animals to keep up with. Many species are extinct because of this and many will become extinct in the future.

    ReplyDelete