Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Asgaard

The most interesting part of our weekend trip, to me, was Asgaard Farm. I was not only fascinated with the fact that they had bought it from an artist but also with how much effort they had put into maintaining sustainability and minimizing their ecological footprint. I've grown up around farms of all kinds and have seen widely varying degrees of sustainability but the effort that David and Rhonda put in to the farm brought me a lot of happiness. Their devotion - to maintaining and improving the land itself via livestock circulation; maintaining herd diversity by rotating breeding pairs; encouraging local commerce by limiting their sales to a certain circle, and in the upkeep of Kent's studio - shows a level of understanding that many people in our generation lack. David and Rhonda and the people they work with have committed themselves to something that is less than profitable because they believe in the service and products they produce and they believe in the purpose that running the farm gives them. This level of devotion and sacrifice was beautiful to me, especially considering the financial stability they had to give up to make that dream come true. Although I don't think I'll be buying a farm to rehabilitate, I hope that someday I can find that kind of passion in my life and give something back to my community the way that David and Rhonda have with Asgaard.

No comments:

Post a Comment