Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

My Birthday Post!


Technically this post was supposed to be up by Monday evening, but I had to wait until now (past midnight) to write it. How could I miss the opportunity to write a blog post on my birthday?! I'd say that writing this definitely beats a nibble of birthday cake. 

Spaz since 1993.



Anyway... this trip has my phone brimming with pictures and notes, and my head is swimming with different things to prattle on about. There is only one solution: I shall make a list. This list shall be comprised of 21 nibbles. Each nibble is a memory that I've distilled into a bite sized blurb. So, without further ado..

~The 21 Nibbles~

#1 Asgaard Farm & Dairy.

Image 1. An Asgaard goat.

This farm was great, because it highlighted everything we've read about and discussed, as far as Adirondacks agriculture is concerned. I think Ronda said it best when she said that "agriculture needs a system." That statement is especially true in the Adirondacks, where much of the natural climate works against successful farming. Ronda and her husband have managed to put together a machine that depends on many disparate but interconnecting parts. She explained that dairy farming is their "anchor business," but they have many other side projects and enterprises that go hand in hand with the anchor. They diversify their practices for many reasons, including disease control. They've got about 150 goats which they milk daily. From this they produce cheeses, lotions, milks, and other products. They double their herd every year after the mating season, and sell of their excess goats to NYC restaurants and other farms. They've got 24 pigs that feed on the extra whey (the byproduct in cheese production). They also have 50 cows, which serve to clean the pastures for the goats. Goats are what Ronda referred to as "dead end hosts" for parasites -- thus clearing the way for healthy goats. Those cows are kept for two years and then butchered and sold. They've also got about 800 chickens and a little patch of vegetables, which acts as a very local farm for neighbors and workers on the farm. The two have acquired 1,000 acres of forest in addition to their farmland, which they log sustainably. 

Thinking about all these projects absolutely baffles me -- it is a lot to keep track of. It also reaffirms the concept that it is nearly impossible to be successful from one trade in the Adirondacks. The people who succeed their are multifaceted, and Asgaard is a perfect example of this phenomenon. 


I'm going to summarize some other favorite moments with a few pictures

#2
Image 2. Amelia and I frolic atop this little mountain. It was breathtaking despite the drizzle!

#3
Image 3. I attempted to get a candid of Eric but it didn't work. I like the photo anyway. #caughtredcandid

#4
Image 4. Amelia has become part of the landscape. 

#5
Image 5. "Aeral" the Owl enjoys staring into people's souls. It is actually very difficult for him to stare, because he was hit by a car a few years back. The whiteness observed in the right eye is a cataract caused by severe brain trauma. Aeral has since recovered pretty well, considering! This picture was taken at the second Adirondack museum. 

#6
Image 6. If I have learned nothing else on this trip, it is that porcupines love to eat, and that is essentially the only activity that they bother waking up for.

#7
 Image 7. Meet Adirondack Wildlife Refuge's Security Goose.


#8
Image 8. This is Pippin the Fox. Also courtesy of Adirondack Wildlife Refuge. This was only the second time I had ever seen a fox! The first sighting was only a week ago, at soccer practice. I saw the fox creep up behind the community farm, sniff around, and sneak back into the Glen. These are some pretty sneaky creatures!

Here are some other little and/or big details that made this weekend great:


#9: A scrumptious brownie, courtesy of Chef Phil from Litchfield Castle.

#10: The textile fair at the Blue Mountain Adirondack Museum. We were lucky to get to see so much local talent and get more of a feel for Adirondack trade (I bought some earrings!).

#11: I saw an elephant head... and a hippopotamus head... and a giraffe head/neck...

#12: I saw more taxidermy in one place than I will probably see in my entire life. So thank you.

#13: I threw something into an elephant foot trashcan...

#14: I pulled a chain to flush the toilet.

#15: While I wouldn't want any more elephants and giraffes and hippopotamuses to die so their extremities could serve as trash cans and tables and such, I still think that Litchfield is a unique place with a fascinating character to it. It's really an incredible spot and I'm glad I got to see it.

#16: The Phil Brown debate was a definite highlight of the trip... A big thanks to Eric Schwenker and Dennis Phillips!

#17: I loved the Adirondack Wildlife Refuge--not just my encounter with Pippin, but also the wolf discussion.

#18: I loved my jitney mates. A special thanks to Annie for putting up with me for over 10 hours and providing a nice shoulder to doze on.

#19: Madison (an Onno pupil) did an excellent job DJing for the entire trip. I've donated a couple great tunes, and I'm currently listening to them now! Thanks for making our jitney awesome.

#20: I got to make a bunch of new friends, and there's no better birthday present than that.

#21: Finally, a big thank you to everyone who housed us, fed us, and educated us during this trip!

2 comments:

  1. I had not gotten a chance to look at this until now, but you do a great job of summarizing last weekend. I guess I didn't realize how prevalent the theme of animals were to our trip. Anyway, Happy Birthday, Phoebe! Hope you had a good one.

    ReplyDelete