Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Litchfield Castle

     Although I'm sure Wenonah was a beautiful place to stay, I can't begin to describe how lucky I was to be in van number two. I knew I was going to be spending the night at Litchfield castle, but what I didn't know, was what I was in for. Driving around the lake, on the five mile dirt road, was like driving on the moon. "Why would such a place have such a crummy road?" I thought to myself.  But as we approached the castle, and saw it from across the lake, I understood. This was an exclusive place, only the few and fortunate, the lucky ones like us, could have the opportunity to see it, let alone, sleep in it. I could never have expected something so incredibly magnificent as we pulled up. The stonework, the marble lions, everything about it was unreal. It was right out of a fairy-tale storybook. Inside, I can't begin to tell how impressed, how enamored I was with all of it. The taxidermy, the James-Bond-worthy library and amazing books, the grandness and built-to-last nature of the architecture and structure, the craftsmanship, the inordinate attention to detail, the pristine antiques, the massive scale of what it took to get everything to look just so, inside and out in a time without modern capabilities, the care with which everything has been kept, the history, and the shear amount of knowledge Pieter had on everything encompassed in his and his families world, business, castle, and family alike; past, present, and future. Truly... surreal. Walking outside onto the veranda early Sunday morning was icing on the cake. True silence was all that filled the air, until loons began calling to each other. Mist was rolling off of the water. A piece of history behind me, and what sheer awe,  the Litchfield empire in front of me. Those 14 hours that I spent there were truly some of the most memorable of my life. What a privilege it was to be there and spend time speaking with Pieter. When can we go back? 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post; I'm sure it would make Mr. Litchfield (the ancestor who built the property) very proud. After reading your favorable descriptions of the house and surrounding lands it's clearer to see why they would choose to build a castle in that remote location, far away from society. I also like how you said Litchfield looked as thought it came right out of a fairy-tail storybook. I, too felt the same way, there was something very mystical about the castle.

    ReplyDelete