Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

First time in the ADKs

Unlike many hoc members and AA leaders in this class, this weekend was my first real experience in the Adirondacks.  I really enjoyed the trip and I felt that I had a good background knowledge about the history of the park and people who have lived there. I also really liked seeing, in real life, the diverse Adirondack trees, mountains and landscapes that we have been learning about for a while now.  I’m glad that we went during this time of year, because it was really cool to see all of the beautiful different colors of the changing trees.  The good thing about the long time spent in the jitney, travelling to and from places was that I had lots of time to stare out of the windows and see many different colored trees fly by.

One lasting impression that will stay with me from this trip was when we were standing on Asgaard farm looking at the landscape. We were looking at the surrounding mountains replete with trees, and we were told to imagine standing in the same exact spot 100 years ago because we would be looking at bare mountains due to the effect of harsh logging.  While standing on that farm and seeing thousands of trees it was very hard to imagine a bare landscape; the trees were so abundant.  I could kind of see how some old settlers and loggers thought that the trees in the Adirondacks were infinite and therefore a great resource.  But research and history tells us that even though the trees may look infinite they are very vulnerable to human activity and we should not take them for granted.


Here is a photo I took of the tree filled mountains from the farm.


No comments:

Post a Comment