Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Avoiding Progress for 120 years

Overall I had a great experience this weekend on our trip. Since I grew up going to the Adirondacks with my family, it was very interesting seeing a different side to the park and a more educated side. We would go up and camp, have a nice family weekend and end a great getaway with Keyes Pancake House before the drive home.
Litchfield castle was probably my favorite part. Unlike all of my classmates I felt a little guilty that I wasn't horrified by all the dead animals and imported furniture. I thought it was so fascinating seeing a little piece of history so frozen in time. The water bottles we were give also had a great quote on them that read "Avoiding progress for 120 years". While everyone thought this was so comical, I thought it was a great quote for not only Litchfield castle but the Adirondacks in general. I feel like most of the Adirondacks have been working hard to avoid leaving a modern mark. Much like the castle the Adirondacks is all about preservation. I thought that was an interesting parallel. While the park and the castle may have nothing in common, they do share this common theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment