Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Chaga Chaga Choo Choo

One of my favorite parts of the field trip was getting to see and talk with people who lived in the Adirondacks and made a living doing various things, wether it be knitting, spinning, dairy farming or fur trapping. The 16 year old trapper from the Adirondack Museum was an especially memorable person. Besides doing fur trapping, he also collects and sells Chaga fungi. I had heard of Chaga before because of its remarkable health benefits but I had no idea that it grew in the Adirondacks. After doing more research I've learned that Chaga grows on living birch tress throughout the northern temperate and subarctic forests in the Americas, Asia, as well as Europe.




Another cultivater that I found online describes Chaga as being a polypore fungus that only grows on a living tree. Most commonly, the fungus grows from a bruised part of a tree, that suffered damage and lost a branch. By growing on the bruised part of a tree, Chaga prevents rotting and infection on the tree. Chaga has the ability to prolong the life of a birch tree, but eventually when the birch tree dies, the Chaga does as well, but not before releasing spores in the wind.

Chaga traditionally is credited with treating cancer, leukemia, acne, blood disorders, and psoriasis among other things. Some people claim that it can help in the treatment of HIV. Some of the beneficial components of Chaga are apoptosis-inducing like Betulinic acid which has an effect on the mitochondria of cancer cells.

In many cases, and the case of the boy from the museum, Chaga is brewed into a tea and consumed. When I drank it, it had a very distinct fungal taste as to be expected. It wasn't bad though, and considering all of the health benefits, it's worth it. This was a very informative and unexpected activity  that contributes to the economy of the Adirondacks that I'm glad to have learned about.





2 comments:

  1. I did not know Chaga fungus could be so useful or interesting. I, for one, hate mushrooms, which is the primary thought that comes to mind when I think of a fungus. It is interesting to learn about the other types of fungus that we can eat and that it is actually very good for us. Next time I get the chance, I will not be so harsh on fungus and instead think of all the benefits of the Chaga fungi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this very useful information you have provided for me cheers!

    ReplyDelete